On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 10:43 PM, Mark E. Jeftovic <mar...@easydns.com> wrote:

>> OK, but why would this matter?
>>
>> To the best of my recollection and as best I can figure out from
>> what's at archive.org and elsewhere, that was never a public DNSBL.
>> They've been marked as private at the valli.org site continuously for
>> many years. Also, any DNSBL tool that is still firing on 'any answer'
>> instead of requiring 127.0.0.2 or some other specific result really
>> merits flushing out of the ecosystem by this sort of event.
>>

> Sorry, I did not know that. I figured it was a live RBL when I saw an
> alert come across our monitors, for some reason it must have been added
> in error here.

Don't apologize.  You did a good thing noting that it is misbehaving.
The person complaining has never run a DNSBL nor been in a
deliverability role where they've had to deal with the fallout from
bogus DNSBL listings. I've done both, and I appreciate you sharing
this information.

This appears to have been a free-to-use DNSBL that shows up in
multi-DNSBL (RBL) checking sites, and I know that mail admins often
copy lists of DNSBLs into their mail server config without necessarily
understanding the listing criteria and without having a feel for how
trustworthy the DNSBL operator may or may not be. And a lot of them
set it and forget it, not checking the config periodically. Now,
hopefully, admins using that DNSBL will see mail bouncing, will google
this error, and find your mailing list post or my blog post about it
and know what happened and how to address it.

Stuff like this is the whole reason my dumb website at www.dnsbl.com
exists. It's not like I make money off of a website list of dead /
broken DNSBLs. It is that so many of them are run so badly or blow up
unexpectedly with no explanation or documentation, so I recognized the
need to log what's happening.

Regards,
Al Iverson

--