> On Jul 21, 2018, at 1:28 AM, Stefano Bagnara <mai...@bago.org> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 21 Jul 2018 at 04:11, Dave Crocker <d...@dcrocker.net> wrote:
>> The concern for replay attack should be adequately mitigated by gluing
>> the d= identifier to the major substance of the message.  The rest,
>> really, is handling-related, rather than substance(content) related.
>
> Then just sign the From that is the only required header in the DKIM
> spec and a small amount of bytes in the body (so to let forwarders add
> their footers, too).
>
> IMHO in a conversation the "recipient" details are more important than
> the "subject" or the "date", once you signed the body.
>
> Forwarders breaking DKIM because they alter to or reply-to will have
> to be fixed (we are in 2018, this is not rocket science anymore).
>
> Otherwise we keep weakening DMARC to a point where it is not useful anymore.

For many senders it's not useful; it's actively harmful. They're deploying it
because they've been ordered to, or because they've received bad advice, or
because they're copying others who've made poor decisions.

Weakening it's guarantees *for those senders* mitigates that damage.

It also *strengthens* DMARC for other senders, those using it legitimately, as
it reduces the number of recipient mailbox providers who stop enforcing DMARC
because it breaks delivery of legitimate email.

Cheers,
  Steve