On 01/08/2019 02:36 PM, Rob McEwen wrote:
I get offers OFTEN from those who had been blacklisted by invaluement, where they ask, "Rob, can we pay you to up us set up our system better so that we won't have the kind of security breaches that caused us to get blacklisted?" (and then I kindly state about a dozen extremely high quality tips, based on their specific situation, for them in about 5-10 free minutes of my time that I donate to them) Occasionally, some have even offered to fly me out to their location to train them - I imagine that those might have been high ticket consultancy jobs!

That's where it's nice to identify a handful of consulting companies that you are completely unassociated with to point people at.

I've heard of people rotating through a list FIFO style. Any company could request to be added to the bottom of the list.

As a DNSBL operator, can you guess WHY it wouldn't be ethical for me to start saying "yes" to those offers?

I think that it's possible to say yes. But you would have to be EXTREMELY careful about how you did it. Even then, it's more about the perception of what you do than what you actually do. Particularly by the people / institutions that have an axe to grind.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die