On 2019/01/11 10:07, Michael Peddemors wrote:
> For the record, we aren't speaking about 'Friendly Names', but the userpart
> of the addr-spec address
>
> But a pointer to an RFC where it is permitted, that I don't find..

RFC5322 and predecessors. Either dot-atom or quoted-string are permitted
for the local part of the address. Characters allowed in dot-atom are
listed in 3.2.3; many other characters including whitespace are allowed in
quoted-string.

> (And yes, Thanks Al it has been used in the wild as you pointed out for some
> time now, wanted to know if it was 'permitted' by RFC anywhere now, as
> seeing more recent list usage with it.. )
>
> It's more a 'gotcha' that post delivery processing systems may not expect...

That would be a good clue that they're likely to be doing other things
wrong too.