Hey Brandon,

On 19.04.19 23:31, Brandon Long via mailop wrote:
> For one, when you're only solution is to reject, the only way to get a
> signal that you're rejecting the mail wrong is manual review, which is
> impractical at best, and difficult to correlate with the opinion of the
> actual receiver.  The spam/not spam signal from users is the best
> information you have on what your users want, even if the bad actors try
> to game the signal and a lot of user's use it as a hammer instead of the
> softer touch.

you are forgetting that users are stupid. As I've mentioned before I
have to deal with abuse messages daily because users press "Junk"
instead of "Delete" buttons. They don't understand the difference
between "Junk" and "Trash" or they sort a regular mail response to junk
because they don't like the answer they get.

> The second is that it is impractical to ascertain whether a message is
> spam or not during delivery time in all cases.  A decade ago, the reason
> was because we had to OCR images contained in power point presentation
> spam, now there are services where anti-malware services are opening
> Word files on clean VMs, or anti-phishing/malware where the service has
> to follow each link through a headless web browser with full javascript
> running.

Why not get the message, give the sender a proper "please come again
later", do OCR or whatever resource intensive scanning and allow or
block the file based on a hash the next time it comes in?

Worst thing I have seen were mails that got moved to spam out of my
inbox where I had seen them before - and suddenly they were just gone.

> Even without these things, often we aren't sure that something's spam,
> so we rely on the folks always checking their email and clicking spam to
> inform us on messages we've already received but haven't been looked at yet.
>
> Those also mean, there's no saying its rejected even if we put the
> message in the spam folder.

You guys probably don't have to deal with the "but where is my mail" -
"did you check the spam folder" support tickets? If a mail gets properly
rejected, the sender - who is the one that wants his mail to be
delivered into the recipients inbox - knows something is wrong and can
try again, contact the recipient in a different way or ask his
postmaster to look into it (who has nice logs of the event).

If you sort something into a spam folder, that most people don't bother
to look into, mails just get lost.

Thomas

--
Thomas Walter