On 28 Apr 2019, at 13:05, Grant Taylor via mailop wrote:

On 4/27/19 11:43 PM, Bill Cole wrote:
I can't say "should" because that's a site-specific/sender-specific choice.

As is the choice to (over)sign headers, even non-existent headers; List-*, Sender, etc.

Qualitatively different choices.

Signing non-existent Sender, List-*, and Resent-* headers has no positive effects outside of absurdly contrived cases and causes tangible problems. Fixing that is zero-maintenance with no negative side-effects.

Special-casing recipients to work around known problems has a clear positive effect, but it only makes sense to do that if changing the default behavior is unworkable and the number of known and likely future special cases needed is manageable with the available support staff. Because

One is a choice to do the generically right thing, the other is a choice of how finely you want to customize services.

It's a thing that could be done with some effort, the right tools, and properly trained users.

It's also a game of whack-a-mole. The sending server would need to constantly be re-configured to avoid doing something based on the receiving server's lack of DKIM processing.

Not necessarily. If one chooses to accommodate particular classes of destination in particular ways, one can choose how much particularity one is willing to support. Maybe it's enough to kiboze the user maildirs for List-ID headers once to figure out what lists your users participate in and just not sign mail to those. Maybe it's something more comprehensive or bespoke. This is why I am loath to make a blanket recommendation.

It is also entirely feasible without substantially weakening DKIM  to just universally not oversign headers that mailing list managers typically and properly.

In your own words, "…that's a site-specific/sender-specific choice."

It is not "culpable" for a mailing list manager to add List-* and Sender headers OR to be blind to DKIM signatures.

In this day and age, I disagree. Ten years ago, I would have held my opinion. For better or worse, DKIM is a thing today.

Based on your opinion for DKIM, I'm assuming that you also think that a mailing list manager is not culpable for sending messages out using the original SMTP envelope from, likely in violation of SPF.

Your assumption is incorrect. MLMs don't use the original SMTP envelope sender for a very basic reason entirely unrelated to SPF.

A MLM must always use its own envelope sender because that's the return path for delivery errors, which in a list context should always be the MLM not the original author. The original author has no control over delivery to individual list members or even knowledge of who they are in most cases, so it would serve no purpose to send them NDNs.

--
Bill Cole