On 2020-03-24 9:35 a.m., micah anderson via mailop wrote:
Steve Freegard via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> writes:

I included the partial SHA-1 to be compatible with automation and
tooling around the HaveIBeenPwned API - see
https://haveibeenpwned.com/API/v3#PwnedPasswords

I understand that desire, but I wish the HaveIBeenPwned things were
better. As a provider, even with their API, its basically useless for us
to actually consume in a way that makes sense.

While 'haveIbeenpwned' is an interesting piece of data for researchers, having an email address password combination in there does NOT necessarily mean the account has been compromised either, or more to the point, still compromised.

There are many other tools available to email operators to detect email compromises (rate limiters, outbound filtering, authentication source verification and ACL's etc), and of course implementing multi-factor authentication, can also address re-used passwords.

Like others on the list pointed out, if you send 'noise' then people will simply 'tune out' to your reports. While I commend you for looking at ways to help address the problem, you might want to have a smaller set of more accurate reports, and then widen it bit by bit, rather than the other way around.

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."