So I spoke a bit too soon on the firewall.This morning I had time to look
at it from a physical and configuration sense.  It is a pfSense firewall
that has multiple WAN ports enabled for multiple ISP. The path from the WAN
that contains the MX IPs does not load balance or failover to the other WAN
port. At one time this was setup but was turned off for some reason.

So NAT/PAT points it to the barracuda. Which in turn passes it to the
proper email server based upon domain or IP address.

To avoid outbound sending confusion from multiple gateways there is an
Outbound NAT but that shouldn't affect the incoming email as those
connections are from a different source.

In light of this configuration would it still make sense to have multiple
MX records? One for each WAN/ISP?

I am considering trying to capture and inspect port 25 as it crosses from
the firewall to the barracuda to see if that will shed light on the
situation.

Thanks,
 Job