An interesting question might be, how would you implement this for an MUA
using IMAP without inbox style exposure...

You'd probably have to do it through your contacts server, ie CardDav.
Server side, you could collect all of the avatars and
populate them per-user into their Contacts data.  That might have annoying
aspects to the size of their contact data and the
sync size, though you could automate population and pruning from the user's
mailbox to their contacts data to somewhat
control that.

Otherwise, you could expand IMAP metadata with it, but there'd have to be
some work to standardize that.
Or create an X-face style header that's just added locally by the MDA.

Are there that many IMAP based mail clients which feature contact avatars?

Purely client-side versions would be challenged with the "high reputation"
aspect of not just fetching
any given one.  I guess you could prompt the user, kind of the equivalent
of "always load images from this
sender", control the avatar and the images with the same per-sender flag.

Brandon