On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 11:34 AM Hans-Martin Mosner via mailop
<mailop@mailop.org> wrote:

> Mails to abuse@ should be handled quickly without being CC'd to a VP. It's
> the abuse desks job to stop abuse ASAP. If they are understaffed or don't
> have authority to stop spamming senders then there's an organizational
> problem that can not be solved by handling abuse reports from the VP's seat.

I'm not here to defend any given provider, but I will say, I wish you
could see the amount of absolute garbage that an abuse desk address
gets.

They get tons of GWF Goober With Firewall reports -- the "stop hacking
my port 80" kind of thing. They get weirdo tinfoil hat reports from
actually, really crazy people who CC half the earth and want an ESP to
do something about a bad Amazon order they placed two years ago or
they need you to send the troops into India ASAP. They get tons of
actual spam directed at abuse@ domain, because some A-holes mad about
the provider thought it would be funny to submit that address to
signup forms as a form of payback. And the abuse desk typically cannot
run a spam filter because the chances of it eating legit spam reports
is high. They get tons of misdirected customer service emails-- online
store X may be a client and the user opted-in but is mad about their
last order so they think complaining to the ESP is going to get them a
refund on their order. Then you get complaints from people who are
lawyers or think they are lawyers and they demand payment because some
client pissed them off, or they cite some non-existent law or legal
theory and get mad if you don't follow their explicit instructions.
Then you get lots of what might be legit complaints but there are no
headers or other markers to identify a particular client, send or IP.
Then you get phishing warnings from security services who get confused
everything they see a redirect in a URL, and even if it legitimately
starts on bank.com and ends on bank.com, some of them still get
confused and send helpful third party takedown recommendations. Then
you get some legitimate complaints but they've mangled the forwarding
enough that the automation can't parse it. Is it QP, Base64, 7-bit,
UTF-8, headers pasted in body, MIME attachment in some format other
than ARF, etc. etc. etc. Most of that automation is either home grown
or a ticketing system not meant for abuse work so each one of them
probably fails to properly read at least one of those types of
messages. And thus, even with automation, it can be hard to quickly
figure out which complaints matter most, and those perfect complaints
with full headers pasted into a new email report to abuse don't always
get handled as quickly as you might like.

Does ESP X have a systemic problem? That I can't speak to. But man, I
can only imagine the volume of useless emails to abuse they are having
to wade through.

Cheers,
Al Iverson

--