After having thwarted additional attacks (thanks for the hint about
SUBSCRIBE_FORM_SECRET!) I looked at our mailman logs
to see if everything is quiet now, and to find patterns.

Apparently the initial check was from a serbian IP address:

Aug 18 10:01:55 2020 (8184) <listname>: pending mmc49...@eoopy.com
37.221.182.184

The mail address has md5sum 8161d22688eab8dd557aec1fd32192b7, so it's the same
that you (Andy) saw 14 times, so it's
likely that this address was the one used by the spammer to confirm that his
scheme works.

After that check, the other stupidly publicly advertised lists at our small
site were tested with the same address, one
was tested with another address at the same domain, and then a few minutes
later the bot started to "register" victims.

eoopy.com seems to be a domain used by 10minutemail.net to provide time-limited
e-mail addresses. I don't think they
would be willing or able to share information on who registered this mail
address (it's all automated and like most
anonymizing services they won't keep logs so LE can't force them to hand them
over).

Thinking up a specialized defense against this attack (just as keeping a list
of such domains) is probably overkill, so
this analysis is just here to possibly help understand what spammers do to
circumvent anti-spam measures. We can't
foresee what they come up with next, but we can react and harden our systems
quickly.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin