Microsoft does do domain verification on Office 365, usually via TXT
(MS=999999999)

It's also possible it can be due to a forwarder on one of the recipient's
mailboxes.

*Faisal Misle*
Customer Success Engineer | Red Sift

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 12:49 PM Phil Pennock via mailop <mailop@mailop.org>
wrote:

> Folks,
>
> One of the sources of mail for a domain I need to care about (nats.io)
> per DMARC reports is office.com; eg:
>
>   cwlgbr01ft010.eop-gbr01.prod.protection.office.com.
>
>   5.188.213.206   5.188.213.198
>
> Do Microsoft do domain verification before allowing a sender domain to
> be used?
>
> I'm trying to figure out if this is:
>
> 1. Crud being correctly filtered out?
> 2. Someone internally using
>    a) an MS Office cloud product which is sending notifications/invites,
>    b) or hosted email using SMTP/POP3 to the regular mail service
>    and that person doesn't realize that my requests for "hey y'all, is
>    this you" really does mean them and they need to speak up?
> 3. Something else?
>
> I'm probably going to up the DMARC p= level to quarantine and would like
> to not inconvenience (more than absolutely necessary) legitimate users.
> This domain is seeing enough spoofing to have caused deliverability
> issues in the past.
>
> Thanks,
> -Phil

Red Sift is the power behind OnDMARC and OnINBOX.

You can find us at 21A
Noel Street, 4th Floor, London, W1F 8GR.

Red Sift is a limited company
registered in England and Wales. Registered number: 09240956. Registered
office: Kemp House, 152 City Road, London, EC1V 2NX.