SPF checks IPs against the From: domain … which may fail for good reasons or
bad, and in both ways.
If the criteria is too lax, bad actors can take advantage.

DKIM can also fail, since Bad Actors love to set up their domains with valid
DKIM info.

DMARC puts it all together.

But ultimately, with the flagrant abuse of what we call the, “Friendly From” …
ripping it out entirely does have a certain appeal, especially as it’s almost
impossible on devices such as smartphones, to get at that actual information
for validation in the first place.

The phone number metaphor is a better fit.
I set up this phone number in my contacts as belonging to my friend, “Joe
Smith”, and presupposing the number isn’t forged, they get to ring my phone,
and I know who it is just by looking at the caller-ID.

Friendly From is a False Friend.

Aloha,
Michael.
--