On 2020-12-18 17:22:13 (+0800), Paul Smith via mailop wrote:

On 18/12/2020 01:19, Philip Paeps via mailop wrote:

I use the secondary MX as spammerbait...  If a client connects to a lower priority MX before talking to the higher priority MX, I probably don't want to hear from them.
There's also the opposite anti-spam trick that I've heard of:

have two MX records. The higher priority MX just doesn't exist and the real mail server is the lower priority one. Badly written spam software will try the higher one and when that doesn't respond, it'll give up. Well written mail senders try the higher one, then use the lower one when the higher one doesn't respond.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nolisting

That's cute.  I hadn't heard of that one.

And it can be combined with the trick I'm using too.

MX 10 dummy1.example.com.
MX 20 real-primary-mail-server.example.com.
MX 30 talk-here-first-and-be-blocked.example.com.

I'll consider trying that.

Thanks for the tip.

Philip

--