On 20 Jan 2021, at 11:27, Russell Clemings via mailop wrote:

I don't really understand why anybody would use UCEPROTECT3 anyway.

The first sentence of their web page says:

"This blacklist has been created for HARDLINERS. It can, and probably will
cause collateral damage to innocent users when used to block email."

http://www.uceprotect.net/en/index.php?m=3&s=5

People do very dumb things with their mail systems.

For 17 years I've run a strictly private blocklist which has for all of that time answered unauthorized queries to the DNSBL interface to the blocklist with either silence or hazardous garbage. The only way to know the base zone name would be to see a rejection message due to it (or guessing, which admittedly isn't hard.) The online documentation of the blocklist includes the current contents in a hard-to-parse but human-readable format and direct clear warnings that it is not available to the public as a DNSBL and that trying to use it in any form without my active assistance and approval would be extremely unwise and violent to normal email. Literally no one anywhere uses my blocklist as an absolute rejection criteria, as no one should.

Every week, thousands of resolvers spread across hundreds of unique /24 nets ask for records in that DNSBL zone. The ones that get blocked from port 53 at my firewall for a week at a time consistently come back after their banishments within 12 hours and re-earn their blocking. No one doing those queries can possibly be getting any utility from them. At best, they get more than a UDP reply's worth of long-TTL records for whatever IPs they happen to query in their weekly paroles. The number of miscreants and volume of their queries has steadily grown over the past decade.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire