On Wed 21/Apr/2021 23:48:10 +0200 John R Levine via mailop wrote:
On Wed, 21 Apr 2021, Peter Nicolai Mathias Hansteen wrote:
SMTP was defined in the late 1970s and we didn't invent greylisting
until about 2003. I don't think you can blame them for not being
clairvoyant.

No clairvoyance was required for taking account of greylisting in the 2008 update that the article was about, but you’re probably right in a largish chunk of cases about this bit:

That update quite deliberately did *not* make changes that were incompatible with decades of existing practice.  Forcing large mail farms to send retries from the same IP would be a significant and painful change which means that in practice they would have ignored it.

RFC 6647 came in 2012.

Best
Ale