On Fri, 2021-07-23 at 21:44 +0200, Thomas Walter via mailop wrote:

> Regarding RFC974
>     If the list of MX RRs is not empty, the mailer SHOULD try to
> deliver
>     the message to the MXs in order (lowest preference value tried
>     first).  The mailer IS REQUIRED to attempt delivery to the lowest
>     valued MX.  Implementors are ENCOURAGED to write mailers so that
> they
>     try the MXs in order until one of the MXs accepts the message, or
> all
>     the MXs have been tried.
>
> It's been a while since I looked at this, but isn't "SHOULD" a
> recommendation? I understand this collides with the next "IS
> REQUIRED",
> but...?

a general principle of statutory interpretation that applies well
(though not mandatory AFAIK) to the interpretation of standards is to
always read parts of the text in harmony with its whole.  Not in
collision.

Easy in this case: the highlighted SHOULD is not a direction.  It is a
description of the potential outcome that would/could/*should* happen
(outcome) if the mailer will/can/shall do what is directed.

--
Yuval Levy, JD, MBA, CFA
Ontario-licensed lawyer