On 2021-12-31 13:42, Alessandro Vesely via mailop wrote:

The difference between them is that, although HTTP provides for put and post verbs, the web evolved around clients downloading data from the servers, while email dealed the opposite direction. The implication with respect to spam is evident.  Web spam can only occur for sites which accept data from (authenticated) clients.  The store and forward nature of SMTP precludes client authentication at each hop.  Had I to register and log in at your mail server in order to send you a message, spam wouldn't be so ubiquitous.

Precisely, we all know how well HTTP and family handles contact form spam, even when it doesn't send email in the backend.
What "governance" does the W3C have for those?

--GM