On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 5:32 AM Alessandro Vesely via mailop <
mailop@mailop.org> wrote:

> I'm not clear what you mean by "secure your own IP block".
>
> Besides, for the mxroute address you wrote from, 149.28.56.236, I find an
> abuse address of ab...@vultr.com, which looks like your ISP's.

This again points to some of the assumptions that people on Mailops seem to
have.  Often times, the owner of the IP (i.e. vultr.com) isn't necessarily
the administrator of the mail server sending out mail from the IP (i.e. who
has root to the server).  For us, we rent servers from various companies.
Those companies own the IP addresses (or sometimes they're renting rack
space and IP addressing in a datacenter and the ownership of the IP address
goes up another level), but they don't have root access to the server
(technically since they have actual hands in the datacenter, they could get
root to the server if they booted into single user mode).

At the same time, I understand why Mailops preaches that they send abuse
reports to the owner of the IP address - which, again, may be several
company levels up from the individual that actually has root to the server
and can take more immediate action against the abuse.  I'm not really going
to cry foul that Microsoft, Gmail, Yahoo, all the other big name mail
services aren't actually sending the abuse reports to the administrators of
the servers that matter.  Ideally, sure, the reports would go to the IP
owner and that would filter down to the root administrator of the server.
That doesn't happen very often - if ever.  Perhaps this is something these
IP owners (i.e. vultr.com, Linode, etc) need to address.  Perhaps these IP
owners need to require it so that when a customer signs up for their
services, they have to provide an email address to forward feedback loop
messages to for their assigned IP?

Whether or not if these big name mail services realize how razor thin the
connection is between IP owner and root server administrator is not
something I know, although I suspect that it's more likely they are
oblivious to this.

I might question whether those reports are actually being sent to the IP
owner in the first place, it provides plausible deniability in the event
that they unilaterally decide to block or blacklist an IP address.  Because
as I said, those notices from the IP owner rarely get filtered down to the
root server administrator.  It then becomes a closing ticket matter when
it's revealed that the person inquiring about the block (the root server
administrator) isn't the IP owner.

I still go back to the way the AOL Feedback Loop system worked in the
2000s.  I was able to stop A LOT of spam abuse on our servers when these
were reporting and being sent to AOL addresses - which often times included
many, many other email services (gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc).  The signup
process made a ton of sense, you registered an IP address, AOL did a
reverse lookup on the IP, you had to acknowledge that you could receive
email at postmas...@reverselookupt.ld or ab...@reverselookupt.ld, and then
you were able to receive redacted messages that AOL users flagged as spam
(or maybe the system flagged as spam?) that came from that IP address.
There was no involvement in the "owner" of the IP address.

I just wish people could be a bit more open-minded when it comes to
reporting spam and abuse from mail servers.  It's like nobody wants to hear
or consider viewpoints on how email and email servers are being
administered and learn from those.  The second they see that someone isn't
managing their mail server the way THEY manage a mail server then
immediately that someone is wrong.  Why is it so hard to take feedback,
ponder on it, and maybe admit "hey! that's not a bad idea!"