Ours was set to 50 years ago, and we renamed our internal hops to
X-Received to avoid issues with external receivers with stricter limits.

The number of hops for most consumer mail isn't high, but enterprise
messages can have some really extended hops if it goes through nested
mailing lists and multiple third party relays for various services.

Brandon