On 5/17/2022 4:40 PM, Anne Mitchell via mailop wrote:
"why we can't do that", culminating in "the Commission concludes that, under
present conditions, a National Do Not Email Registry in any form would not have any beneficial
impact on the spam problem. It is clear, based on spammers’ abilities to exploit the structure
of the email system, that the development of a practical and effective means of authentication
is a necessary tool to fight spam.

Note that, in spite of DMARC, we still do not have per-user authentication.

More importantly, IMO, mechanisms like this really only apply to legitimate businesses that might be a bit too aggressive. While it is possible it would mitigate some of their aggression, the bigger problem, IMO, are the folk who operate in a criminal style, ignoring rules.

d/