• Kai 'wusel' Siering via mailop [2022-10-20 00:44]:
[...]
> > In the German Net Neutrality report 2020/2021, published by
> > Bundesnetzagentur, section 24, they say:
> >
> >      In several cases end-users could not receive incoming emails. They
> >      believed that internet access providers were blocking emails of certain
> >      email providers. The blocking, however, was carried out by involved
> >      email service providers. For this reason the net neutrality Regulation
> >      did not apply.
> >
> > In the t-online case the blocking is carried out by the ISP.
>
> Nice find. But:

[...]
> As such: the MXes are run by »Deutsche Telekom Technik GmbH«, their IP
> space is routed by »Deutsche Telekom AG, Internet service provider«.
> Therefore it's not a net neutrality issue: There is a distinction
> between the mail service and the routing service.
>
> Even if not: AFAICS net neutrality only applies to the transport
> level. So if the GmbH or the AG would configure their routers to drop
> 25% of packets to my ASN (or if I'd do similar stuff), that would be
> an issue of net neutrality.

I wouldn't argue very hard on this one, as I do agree that net
neutrality primarily applies on the transport level. However, I don't
think it's too far fetched to consider application of net neutrality
when an email service is provided by an ISP as a service to the ISP
subscribers, even if the email service itself technically is provided by
an entity different from the ISP, maybe being based on some kind of
contractual arrangement between AG and GmbH.

IIRC there are some situations where carrier specific rules apply to
higher level services/applications provided by an ISP, but not to
non-ISPs providing similar services.

--
    -- Kirill Miazine <k...@krot.org>