Från: Graeme Fowler via mailop <mailop@mailop.org>
Skickat: den 21 november 2022 13:09
Till: mailop <mailop@mailop.org>
Ämne: [mailop] [Admin] Changes to list behaviour, members' spam filters etc

Hello folks

A list member contacted us this morning to say that they'd observed a large
number of messages from mx.mailop.org <http://mx.mailop.org/> being rejected by
their anti-spam/malware system. This has raised a couple of points that I need
to make:

1. The list frequently discusses spam, malware, scams and such like; as a
result, a significant number of messages can and will continue to contain
domains, hostnames, email addresses, technicques used by scammers/spammers and
all manner of key words or terms that are only too likely to trip filters.
Whilst not demanding that list members add the list and/or server to any form
of pass-list they may be running, it's possibly a good idea especially if you
have the ability do this per-recipient.

2. I've spotted this morning that we still have postfix's 'soft_bounce' option
set to 'yes'. This is an option which is used when testing and even has the
comment:

        # NOTE: This is good for test runs, but bad in production

just above it in the default config. It means that 5xx responses are treated
'softly', so messages retry. As a result of this, I will be changing that
option to 'no' in the near future.

THIS WILL CHANGE AUTOMATED SUBSCRIBER MANAGEMENT <--- note well!

mailman *will* disable, and subsequently unsubscribe, users with too many
permanent errors. It will take time, as it's setup fairly leniently, and you'll
receive automatic warnings if this happens once a week for 3 weeks before being
automatically unsubscribed.

I will let everyone know when I've committed this change, probably later this
week.

Regards

Graeme