If people intend to be interoperable, there is NO variation in what a 4xx and a
5xx mean.

4xx means: this message can be queued and retried at a future date.

5xx means: this message cannot be retried without human intervention.

Those interactions are defined in RFC 821 and it’s successors. [1]

The variation / confusion / problems / conflict comes when we try and use these
very clear *transactional* signals to interpret what to do with a different and
future message to the same address.

Bounce handling in the transaction should follow the RFC. If the SMTP response
starts with a 4, queue it and retry. If the SMTP response starts with a 5, stop
trying to deliver it.

Address handling and list hygiene is undefined in the SMTP spec. It’s something
we’ve tried to cobble together with every group doing a different thing over
the years. It’s a mess and it is complicated and there probably should be
documentation of what to do with it. [2]

laura

[1] I’m still annoyed by “4xy: this message will never deliver” that a major
ISP uses. If the message will never deliver, give it a 5xx.

[2] Yes, this is my current project - figuring out a way to make bounce
handling less of a maze of twisty little codes all alike and making it a
clearer communication channel.

> On 26 Feb 2023, at 05:12, Evan Burke via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> wrote:
>

> There's a lot of variation in what 4xx and 5xx mean in practice. This means
> there's room for some senders to spend time investigating and understanding
> what each receiving domain's 4xx and 5xx (and subcategories thereof) actually
> mean for address delivery over time, and for designing rules and policies to
> handle them based on observed outcomes - IF those are a more reliable
> indicator than the general guidance from RFCs.
>
> That doesn't mean Luke is ignoring null MXes.
>
> On Sat, Feb 25, 2023 at 8:00 PM Benny Pedersen via mailop <mailop@mailop.org
> <mailto:mailop@mailop.org>> wrote:
>> Luke via mailop skrev den 2023-02-26 04:15:
>> > I can assure you sendgrid retries 4xx. We also don't retry 4xx. We
>> > also retry 5xx. We also don't retry 5xx. How is it 2023 and people
>> > still think 4xx means retry and 5xx means don't retry?
>>
>> what books do you read ?
>>
>> maybe rfc 7505 is soon or later for all ?

The Delivery Experts

Laura Atkins
Word to the Wise
la...@wordtothewise.com