On Fri, Mar 3, 2023 at 10:07 AM Mark Fletcher via mailop <mailop@mailop.org>
wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 3, 2023 at 9:21 AM Jesse Hathaway via mailop <
> mailop@mailop.org> wrote:
>

>> 1. Rewrite the RFC5322.From address to be an address from the mailing
>> list domain, place the original RFC5322.From address in the Reply-To
>> header. Sign the message with the mailing list's DKIM key.
>>
>> This is what we do.
>
> 2. Preserve the original DKIM signing of the message by only adding
>> additional headers, i.e. do not modify the subject or add a trailer
>> message.
>>
>> This was never an option for us, as our users want a subject tag and
> including a footer with an unsubscribe link is table stakes for a mailing
> list.

There is a legal argument that is the best way to meet the various
anti-spam laws... as in all things legal, there are a lot of different
laws in different countries and one might make an argument that an
unsubscribe header and button in mail clients would be sufficient... but
making
legal arguments to governments and courts is an expensive proposition with
uncertain results, following the path of least resistance means less pain.
Obviously, the liability is also very different for different
senders/orgs... and also opt-in vs opt-out probably has some bearing as
well, more technical
users can handle opt-in better and hopefully unsubscribing...

Brandon