On 3/24/23 4:01 PM, Heiko Schlittermann via mailop wrote:
Hm. Maybe I'm stupid.

Nope. I'm sure that's not the case. We all learn things when exposed to new things. ;-)

What does this change? From senders PoV it is a temporary error. The
sender will retry.

NoListing works by causing the sending server to cascade through multiple MXs.

First MX either doesn't respond /or/ sends a TCP reset. Thereby causing the sending MTA to try the next MX.

The next MX responds like normal.

The cascading from one MX to the other MX achieves a very similar result as grey listing. But it does so in a way that is indifferent to the actual addresses used.

There is also no state to be maintained by the receiving system.

And on my side I still do not recognise their 2nd attempt, if they use a
variable MAIL-FROM.

With no state to maintain it doesn't matter what the envelope from is, variable or static.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die