It appears that Bill Cole via mailop <mailop-20160...@billmail.scconsult.com>
said:
>On 2023-05-12 at 09:40:14 UTC-0400 (Fri, 12 May 2023 13:40:14 +0000)
>Paul Gregg via mailop <pgregg+mai...@pgregg.com>
>is rumored to have said:
>
>> I suspect with verp/bounce addressing widely in use now, 64 octets
>> just isn't enough these days.
>
>Hogwash. 64 mail-safe octets is adequate for every domain to give a
>unique printable(!) deliverable local-part to every elementary particle
>in the universe. It's a namespace adequate for ANYTHING

If only. You run out of octets pretty quickly when you are doing hacks
like the IETF's anti-DMARC workaround which turns
mailop-20160...@billmail.scconsult.com into
mailop-20160228=40billmail.scconsult....@dmarc.ietf.org

I also know people who do much fancier versions of timestamped
addresses like the ones you use. Yeah, if you're a good enough
programmer you can compress it and base36 encode or you can do what I
do and put the magic into the domain, e.g.
mailop-20160...@billmail.scconsult.com.dmarc.fail, it but again, if
only.

On the one hand, I don't think people get to complain if their
overlong addresses can't be delivered, but I also think that in
the common case that it's easy to handle longer addresses, you
should do so.

R's,
John