On 7/11/23 10:08 AM, Benny Pedersen via mailop wrote:
on next hub envelope sender changes, so new spf problem when next hub forwards mails

This behavior is not guaranteed and SHOULD NOT be relied on. If it works, then great! But don't be surprised if it doesn't work.

I remember Sender Rewriting Scheme being discussed multiple different places many different times and the vast majority of people involved in them loathed the idea of the envelope from address being changed at one or more hops along the way.

For a long time Gmail actively discouraged SRS et al. saying that that they would associate the spam nature with the domain used in the changed envelope from address, thereby likely associating it with your server instead of the original purported source.

My understanding is that Gmail has (finally?) changed sides and now agrees that there are times to change the envelope from address, if not actually recommending it.

As for Postfix doing this by default, that's a new information to me and I consider it highly atypical.

As someone that has gone out of my way to run SRS on emails that I relay (but not originate) I agree with the idea. But I also think that I'm in the extreme minority in my belief / support of SRS. I take some comfort in Postfix (purportedly) defaulting to it. But I still think that I'm in the minority and that most forwarding will not modify the smtp envelope from.

Grant. . . .