On 7/13/23 2:24 AM, Gellner, Oliver via mailop wrote:
The requirement is actually less restrictive as it only requires a SOA record and not additional A, AAAA or MX records in DNS. It is not necessary that every hostname has a SOA record, that indeed would be unreasonable. Yahoo only requires a SOA record for the organizational domain (base domain). As "or.us" has been added to the PSL and the owner wants it to be treated as a TLD, a SOA record is required for westfir.or.us, however none exists.
I keep thinking that someone at Yahoo / AOL has forgotten the difference between a domain and a zone.

But then I re-read / test things and realize that this seems to center on things directly in domains listed in -- what I'm understanding to be -- Mozilla's Public Suffix List.

So I'm left thinking that this is an artificial -- not necessarily arbitrary -- restriction that Yahoo / AOL is imposing o things directly in PSL.

My concern is that it's quite possible to have sub-domains in the parent zone. This used to be common for a lot of smaller entities that simply relied on their parent domain to manage the child's DNS as part of the parent domain's zone, especially with small entities that had no technical need nor desire to host their own DNS.

I did some minimal testing after reading this thread and skimming thread that Andy linked to from earlier this year. I sent from the address I'm using now to my wife's Yahoo account and it was delivered to her inbox just fine. I also sent from an address in a subdomain (e.g. test.tnetconsulting.net) to my wife. That second message was delivered to her spam folder, but it was delivered.

I don't like this restriction, but I don't object to it as long as it's central to the PSL and direct children therein. If it ever extends further into children of the PSL, then I'll be upset -- for all the good that will do.

My concern is that Yahoo / AOL isn't creating an arbitrary "every domain must have an SOA record" and completely loosing sight of the fact that SOAs belong to the /zone/ apex and are not associated with /domain/s.

Grant. . . .