On 2024-01-19 at 05:31:12 UTC-0500 (Fri, 19 Jan 2024 10:31:12 +0000)
Graeme Fowler via mailop <gra...@graemef.net>
is rumored to have said:

On 19 January 2024 06:13:20 hg user via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> wrote:
Since most RBLs exchange data

Small pedantic point: DNSBLs, not RBLs.

As an erstwhile MAPS employee, the persistence of this pedantry warms my heart...

Also, to author[-1], I think it is a bit of a misimpression that DNSBL operators share data. In some cases they may have overlapping sources, and obviously they can query each others' lists, but there's legal peril in DNSBL operators working together and using each others' non-public data. You can be fairly sure that if Spamhaus and SORBS (Proofpoint) and Barracuda are all listing an IP, they each have their own trustworthy data to back it up.

Trend Micro would still assert that the term RBL is their trademark (so far as I know), plus a non-small percentage of known DNS block lists could not be even marginally described as "real time".

Well, there is also that...

Graeme (wearing massive floppy felt pedant hat with huge gold tassels attached to make the point) :)

Excellence in headgear.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire