> On Wed, Feb 7, 2024, 4:55AM Andreas S. Kerber via mailop <mailop@mailop.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Am Wed, Feb 07, 2024 at 02:20:25PM +0100 schrieb Jaroslaw Rafa via mailop:
> > > For outgoing, Google requires that you have DMARC record set up. So if
> > you
> > > are sending anything to Google, you need that.
> >
> > This only applies if your sending more than 5000 messages per day.
> > Most smaller senders are still fine using only "SPF *or* DKIM" and do not
> > *need* a DMARC record:
> >
> > https://support.google.com/a/answer/81126
>
> Unfortunately, this is not correct, despite the official documentation.
> There are multiple reports on Reddit and other places of people getting the
> explicit "authentication required" SMTP response at much lower volumes.
> I've also experienced it directly myself, on domains that I directly
> control that don't do 50 a day, let alone 5000.

        I've seen this multiple times with newly onboarded clients who were
having these exact problems with their previous providers -- once our
systems generate the needed keys and DNS records for SPF, DKIM, and
DMARC, their delivery problems cease.

        In my opinion, all mail systems should be using SPF with DKIM, and
senders should also publish a DMARC "p=reject" policy as this will
help most mail servers stop forgeries before reaching any queues.

        On a few rare occasions we received reports from users who forwarded
copies of SMTP 5yz rejections because the sender didn't have their
SPF records configured correctly, and we've made internal whitelist
exceptiosn for those (that will eventually expire, and our users know
this and have informed their senders of the deadlines).

        I greatly value the SPF/DKIM/DMARC mechanisms because it means my
clients don't get forgeries that look like they came from their
co-workers.  (In a few cases, some of those forgeries included
attachments of old documents dated from times of past security
breaches, which tend to appear more credible to recipients.)

--
Postmaster - postmas...@inter-corporate.com
Randolf Richardson, CNA - rand...@inter-corporate.com