Hello,

On Fri, Feb 09, 2024 at 07:00:34AM +0100, Marco Moock via mailop wrote:
> Am Thu, 8 Feb 2024 17:10:57 +0000
> schrieb Andy Smith via mailop <mailop@mailop.org>:
>
> > Last month there was a complaint on the NANOG (North American
> > Network Operator's Group) that changing the subject line of an email
> > mid-thread disrupted the way emails are grouped, the implication
> > being that the way gmail groups emails is THE correct way to do so.
>
> GMail is crap, and I don't care about the problems the users have with
> that if I can. Public mailing lists are a place where I can.

I wasn't really trying to pass judgement on gmail either way, just
answering the question of why I think people who appear to have
another address end up wanting to forward it to gmail and yahoo
instead of using it directly.

Even amongst some of the most technical communities today, their use
of gmail is so prevalent (sometimes it is the only email they have
ever used in their lives) that it even sets expectations for how all
email services must work. Actually devoting effort to setting up an
alternative is a big step for even technical users.

When these people are your paying customers, or you are being paid
to get email to these people, there is limited up side in berating
people about their choice of mail service. A fact which of course is
used and abused by the huge mailbox providers for their commercial
benefit.

Thanks,
Andy