Hi,

we are an ESP (a very small italian alternative to Mailchimp).

Today an italian mailvox provider started refusing our emails with this
message
> 550 5.1.0 <b+ourvariablereturnpath@e.#customerdomain> sender rejected:
domain does not have neither a valid MX or A record

The "e.#customerdomain" is a CNAME record that points to app.mailvox.it and
app.mailvox.it has both A and MX records.

I guess Tiscali is checking only the A and MX records for the sending
domain without following the CNAMEs: in many years this is the first time I
see something similar and I thought that many services sending email use a
CNAME like us as the alternative (zone delegation) is a lot more complex to
be setup.

I just wrote email to Tiscali postmaster to understand if they will
consider this "a bug in the new feature" or a "feature of the new feature",
but in the mean time I wanted to share the issue as I think other senders
use the same CNAME solution.

We use that CNAME host in order to align the SPF authentication of emails
sent by our customers but our email are also DKIM aligned, so I could
simply use @app.mailvox.it instead of the customer CNAME in the return-path
and emails would still pass DMARC via DKIM.

Do you know other receivers refusing emails because the sender (smtp mail
from) domain is a CNAME?

--
Stefano Bagnara
Apache James/jDKIM/jSPF