On 3/21/24 5:47 AM, Alessandro Vesely via mailop wrote:
Mailing lists modify messages in a de-facto standard way.  It is possible to automatically undo such changes and verify the original signature, if it is left intact.

I feel like this is a "can vs should" type problem. There are a LOT of things that we can do. But the question is should we do them or not.

Van Halen and brown M&Ms come to mind, wherein when one thing is not done correctly, what else is not done correctly? How much should we accommodate?

My personal opinion is to fail hard and fast so that someone can detect the failure and correct it rather than fail soft and slowly block things over time when the change will be lost to time.

Returning a 51x error when someone sends an email to an old address even when we know the new address they wanted to use comes to mind.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die