On 2016-03-06 22:19, famfop wrote:
> Hello,
> I've just set up mairix. But still, i could not find anything in regard
> to my following
> problem (I'm using mutt as my mail client).
> Basically after syncing (and [of course] indexing) my mail I want to
> have all 'unread'
> messages to be linked to my mfolder. So far, this is working well. I'm
> doing it by
> running '$(mairix F:-s)'.
> Now the problem:
> When I enter the folder from within mutt and reading messages, I want
> the original
> message to be flagged as 'read' and after exiting the message to have
> the symlink
> deleted.
> How can I solve this problem with mairix? Or, is it possible to solve
> this problem with
> mairix? Right now, the flag of the "real" message is not changed and
> this way, when
> running the above command, the already read message is again an unread
> message.
> Btw, I'm only using maildir.

Hi famfop,

Unfortunately mairix cannot do this for you. Since it runs as a
completely separate process, it cannot control what Mutt does to the
messages, and Mutt has no concept of its own of messages that exist in
multiple folders at the same time anyway.

You could write a script that you run after exiting Mutt that updates
all of the matched messages to become read in the original folder by
reading the symlinks and renaming files.

Normally I would suggest something like the virtual folders supported by
Dovecot for this type of feature.

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Plugins/Virtual

With that feature, you can configure a virtual folder that contains only
the unread messages from another folder. When messages flags get changed
in the virtual folder, they also get instantly changed in the underlying
folder, and vice versa. It's fully dynamic. (In fact, for this specific
use case it's a little *too* dynamic and probably won't work: as soon as
you read a message in the virtual folder its status will change from
unread to read and consequently it will instantly disappear, giving you
no chance to actually read it. However, if you do this based on some
other flag, such as the message's Flagged or "starred" status, it will
work great.)

-kv