Sorry if this comes to this list twice it got backed to me the first time.

Hello All,

Having read the proposal I can see what could be gained, a less compacted 
spring schedule. However, I would point out that in the 4 years I participated 
in college sailing teams qualified using 3 different systems and I have heard 
no complaints from smaller teams about any of the systems. Also, the same 25 or 
so teams filtered into the war and americas trophy no matter what system was 
used.  In fact many have enjoyed the events even more in recent years since 
with no pre-qualifiers the attendance at and quality of the events has 
improved. This proposal would actually eliminate a high quality event for each 
small teams in the spring. 

As for big teams being freer to do more 3 on 3 team racing. This year that 
would have impacted NYM only. I talked with Blaine about this last spring at 
north 2 and even given how things turned out said he was fine with his votes on 
the spring schedule of last year. He may have changed his mind since then (and 
didn't mean to speak for you Blaine) but my point is that this concern is small.

As for freeing up big team hosting responsibilities, I think this is another 
overstated problem.  Having teams in the major regatta schedule host the 
regional events does a good job of lessening home advantage at the 
championships since there are more opportunities to send younger sailors to 
more venues. For example, Cornell has been able to sail at ODU a number of 
times at regional events and my sophomore year we used them to see the venue 
before showing up at the war and americas trophy. Additionally the quality of 
events run by teams capable of hosting the war or americas trophy is going to 
be higher.

Was this spring a little rushed? Yes, but the events were well attended and at 
least from northern teams I didn't hear complaints.

Cheers,
Scott Grandt
Cornell '08

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

_________________________________________________
maisa mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.collegesailing.org/mailman/?listname=maisa

Reply via email to