Dan,
I feel there is real value in events that match competitive skill levels 
regardless of what that particular level might be.  Your proposed qualifying 
system aims to do this.

However, I find a flaw in your most recent argument.  If a competitor who has 
already qualified in an event and “has nothing to lose” can interfere with a 
competitor trying to qualify, then is it not possible or likely that a 
competitor that is well out of qualifying position can foul or otherwise 
take-out a team near qualifying and prevent them from qualifying?  In your 
argument of motivation, wouldn’t the opposite case be true also?

I strongly feel the vast majority of competitors in all sports compete for the 
enjoyment of competition.  I recently sent a self-evaluation to all my team 
members.  One of the questions I asked seemed silly, “Why are you on the team?” 
 No one answered, ‘to be champion, or All-American, or to win’. Everyone 
answered, ‘because I love sailing, and to have fun.’

I think we all want to see College Sailing grow and the level of ability of all 
teams increase.  That makes it more fun for everyone.  College Sailing is a 
community that we all enjoy being a part of. And like any community, everyone 
has to work towards its betterment, like picking up trash that is not yours, or 
helping your neighbor.
(I wanted to throw in a cliche' for you :) )
-Mitch

Mitch Brindley
Head Sailing Coach
Old Dominion University
(757)683-3387 work
(757)287-1201 cell
________________________________________
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL 
PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 9:05 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [MAISA] A Final Comment

I offer this final comment.

No team should be competing in a qualifier that is not competing with the
same motivation and goals as all the other teams in that event. PERIOD.

Teams that compete in qualifiers and who have nothing to lose are nothing
more than impediments that either influence or affect the outcome. In the midst
of the regatta, they can do anything they wish without penalty. Unlike the
sand  traps in golf which every player must deal with equally, these teams may
cover  one team and not another. They may shut out one team at the start and
not  another. They may even foul one team and not another with no real penalty
to  themselves.

Whether intentionally or unintentionally, these teams impact and influence  a
competition in which they should have no interest. Of course, "My kids
wouldn't do anything like that." But my team has been match raced, I've had to
restrain my kids, and it does happen. Just as the appearance of impropriety  in
politics must be avoided, so must any suggestion of an improperly influenced
competition be avoided in our sport.

Behind the tired old cliches and platitudes used to defend allowing teams
that have qualified to enter these events, the real motivation is the need by
the big teams to find events in which to place their excess players. If they
need more events, they should host more events. But the teams for whom simply
qualifying means success or failure for the season deserve a clean and
totally fair arena in which to compete.

Would the big teams be happy with anything less?

Are they the only teams in MAISA who deserve such?

Tonight we will find out what the leaders of MAISA think.

Dan Winters



**************Looking for simple solutions to your real-life financial
challenges?  Check out WalletPop for the latest news and information, tips and
calculators.      (http://www.walletpop.com/?NCID=emlcntuswall00000001)
_________________________________________________
maisa mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.collegesailing.org/mailman/?listname=maisa


_________________________________________________
maisa mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.collegesailing.org/mailman/?listname=maisa

Reply via email to