Profesor Tariq Ramadan, cucu pendiri Ikhwan Hasan al-Banna, berkunjung
ke Afrika Selatan.
Beberapa komentarnya yang terkait dengan muslimah antara lain:
- menyarankan wanita muslimah agar lebih fokus membentuk wacana
tentang mereka sendiri,
dan menjauhi "victim mentality."
- menciptakan Islam yang akrab dengan Afrika Selatan, bukannya Arabisasi
- mendukung kerudung, tetapi tidak mendukung pemaksaan mengenakan
kerudung maupun menanggalkannya
- menyarankan akses ke masjid untuk perempuan
- rancangan undang-undang pernikahan di Afsel tidak bertentangan dengan Syariah
ada kontroversi dalam RUU ini mengenai pengaturan poligami dan
pengaturan batas usia nikah 18 tahun.
Ramadan menekankan ummat semestinya mencari yang terbaik bagi kauma
perempuan dan gadis,
dan tidak terpaku pada pemahaman literal.

salam,

http://muslimahmediawatch.org/2009/07/30/tariq-ramadan-speaks-to-south-african-women/

Tariq Ramadan Speaks to South African Women July 30, 2009

Posted by Safiyyah in Culture/Society, Events.
Tags: gender, Muslim women, South Africa, Tariq Ramadan, women's issues

Last weekend, my husband and I made the six hour drive to the coastal
city of Durban, to attend a series of lectures and seminars by
Professor Tariq Ramadan. In an earlier post, I reviewed Ramadan’s
latest book, Radical Reform. I certainly appreciate Ramadan’s work,
and feels he is one of the very few contemporary egalitarian Islamic
scholars.
tariq-women

The poster for Tariq Ramadan's women's issues meeting.

One evening of the conference was dedicated especially to women’s
issues, as the rather simplistic poster advertisement points out. “To
work or not to work?”, and “what are my rights and what my
responsibilities?” were supposed to be the themes of the evening, but
according to Professor Ramadan himself, this binary vision, which
reduces womanhood to roles and functions, undermines the very essence
of femininity. Instead, Ramadan focused on motivating and encouraging
women–throughout the entire the weekend–to become more involved in
shaping discourse about ourselves, and most importantly, to stop
upholding a “victim mentality”.

He stressed the importance for South African Muslim women to carve out
an Islam which is uniquely South African for ourselves, and not to try
to “Arabize” ourselves, whether in dress, or otherwise. That said,
Ramadan is a strong advocate of the hijab, or as he calls it, the
khimar, which can be loosely translated as headscarf.  He maintains
that no women should be forced to wear it, or remove it, but that it
is a decision based on individual faith, and should be adapted to fit
the cultural norms of specific communities.

A particularly touchy issue within the South African Muslim community
is that of women and the mosque. By and large, women are not catered
for and not permitted to enter the majority of South Africa’s many
mosques, and to a large extent, the women themselves believe they have
no right to such access, due to an Islamic educational system that has
perpetuated this for decades. Professor Ramadan was extremely vocal
and critical of this, even in his Friday sermon, which he delivered at
one of South Africa’s oldest mosques, the Grey Street mosque.
Incidentally, he spoke at this mosque because it does grant access to
women.

Another topic affecting South African Muslim women is the ongoing
battle for recognition of Muslim marriages. In the two-part series I
wrote in May on the issue, I mentioned how the process has been
derailed because of some segments of the community that believe a
Muslim Marriage Act is against Shariah. Professor Ramadan tackled this
issue, lending his full encouragement to the enactment of such a bill.
He addressed criticisms such as “the act takes away my right to
polygamy” and “a Muslim girl can marry at any age after puberty,
setting the age limit to 18 is un-Islamic”. He raised the points that
just because the bill regulates polygamy (which, according to him, is
an exception in Islam, not a rule) does not mean it is anti-Shariah.
He also expressed his support for raising the minimum marriage age to
18, as he recently did regarding the same law in Morocco, stating that
the community needs to look at the best interests of the girls and
women, not the literal meaning of the scriptural sources.

I managed to sneak in a question regarding the role of Muslim women in
the media. Professor Ramadan expressed concern about the current trend
to objectify Muslim women, and stressed the importance of us becoming
more visible in the media.

On the international front, given that his visit coincided with the
Sarkozy-burqa fiasco, Ramadan was very critical of the whole issue, at
the same time maintaining that the niqab/burqa is not an Islamic
principle or duty. During the course of the weekend, he also touched
on the tragic murder of Marwa el Sherbini, admonishing the German
state for allowing it to happen. Professor Ramadan does not hold back
his punches, and strongly criticized the situation of women in Muslim
majority countries, especially in where he calls the “petrol
monarchies”, citing examples like women not being able to drive,
expressing his outrage with his French-accented English quip, “what is
this?”.

Professor Ramadan echoed much of what he wrote about in his book
Radical Reform, but it was interesting to hear him apply it to the
South African context.

The organizer of the events, The Institute for Learning and Motivation
South Africa (ILM-SA), was founded and is run by the highly efficient
and inspirational, Fatima Asmal. Her quest to provide stimulating and
educational programs for the community, has brought upon her, at
times, attacks by people who feel that it is not her place as a woman
to be so involved. She however, maintains her dignity and poise,
continuing her meaningful work, despite all this. Asmal mentioned that
whenever ILM-SA hosts a conference or seminar, she makes sure that
there are special programs for women and the youth, two sectors of
Muslim society which she feels have been severely neglected. I asked
Fatima about her thoughts on Professor Ramadan’s overall message to
Muslim women:

    Like his (Ramadan’s) message to everyone else, his message to
women was profound.  He gave them courage and confidence.  He taught
them to look within themselves first before they looked outward, and
essentially this is what we should all be doing, but which we – as
women living in a Muslim community, many sectors of which undeniably
try to deny us of many of our rights – tend to lose sight of.  But he
simultaneously encouraged them to move away from that doormat
mentality which has become the trademark of so many Muslim women
living in communities marred by negative  cultural practices.  I can’t
speak for everyone who attended the programme for women, but I feel
that many women left the event, their heads held up high, imbued with
a new and rejuvenated sense of confidence about who they are and what
they can offer the world as Muslim women.’

After the intensive four day conference, I am certainly an even more
ardent fan and follower of Tariq Ramadan’s work than I was before. I
know that many people disagree with his ideology, and controversy
seems to follow him wherever he goes, but I think that his practice of
 dialogue and engagement with all viewpoints is one we can definitely
implement here, in any discussion that follows.

MILIS MAJELIS MUDA MUSLIM BANDUNG (M3B)
Milis tempat cerita, curhat atau ngegosip mengenai masalah anak muda dan Islam.

Sekretariat :
Jl Hegarmanah no 10 Bandung 40141
Telp : (022)2036730, 2032494 Fax : (022) 2034294

Kirim posting mailto:majelismuda@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: