Friday Links — January 8, 2010January 8th, 2010
Fatemeh <http://muslimahmediawatch.org/author/fatemeh/>

   - The *Yemen Observer* profiles Dr. Nadiah
Al-Kokabany<http://www.yobserver.com/culture-and-society/10017874.html>
   .

   - A 20-year-old girl was
auctioned<http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-news-newspaper-daily-english-online/Politics/13-Dec-2009/Girl-sold-in-open-auction>
in
   a Pakistani village last week. Let me repeat that: AUCTIONED. May Allah keep
   her.

   - *The Age* examines the Lebanese magazine
<http://www.theage.com.au/news/entertainment/books/2010/01/01/1261982390866.html>

*Jasad<http://www.theage.com.au/news/entertainment/books/2010/01/01/1261982390866.html>
   .*

   - Dia Diwan interviews Kinda
Hibrawi<http://www.diadiwan.com/features/handbag/culture-through-art>
   .

   - A Dubai couple is facing jail if convicted of issuing forged marriage
   certificates
<http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100101/NATIONAL/701019695/1138/BUSINESS>to
   sex workers.

   - Ms. Mehdi goes to the White
House<http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091230/NATIONAL/712299862/1040/WEEKENDER>
   .

   - More Jordanian women are leaving unhappy or bad
marriages<http://www.coastweek.com/3301-31.htm>
   .

   - Mideast Youth looks at the history of Iraqi
women<http://www.mideastyouth.com/2010/01/02/iraqi-women-a-story-of-unjustice-through-decades/>
   .

   - The *Khaleej Times *reports that The Victim Care Programme initiated by
   the Dubai Police assisted as many as 9,320
women<http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticle08.asp?xfile=data/theuae/2010/January/theuae_January50.xml&section=theuae>
in
   October and November of 2009.

   - Saudi women are checking up on their domestic
workers<http://www.arabnews.com/?page=1&section=0&article=130605&d=3&m=1&y=2010&pix=kingdom.jpg&category=Kingdom>
   .

   - On transgender
activism<http://blog.dawn.com/2010/01/05/a-new-frontier-in-civil-liberties/>
in
   Pakistan.

   - France drafts a bill to fine women wearing the
niqab<http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5ic9UEjc3Y5ArhH6mUZyhl47Ci9fw>.
   O RLY?

   - Bahrain plans on building a women’s only
park<http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=267637>
   .

   - A Massachusetts pharmacy college that drew flak for banning face
   coverings, including the veils worn by some Muslim women, has amended its
   policy to allow for a religious
exemption<http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/01/college_approve.html>.
   More here <http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2010/01/07/veil>.

   - On the socio-cultural impediments to Indian Muslim women’s
struggles<http://www.ummid.com/news/2010/January/03.01.2010/socio_cultural_impediments_to_muslim_women.htm>
for
   justice.

   - In Saudi Arabia, the Humanitarian Women Teachers Campaign demand pay
   equity for female
teachers<http://www.saudigazette.com.sa/index.cfm?method=home.regcon&contentID=2010010358966>
   .

   - One Iraqi writes about her experience having to cover her hair in her

country<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/03/AR2010010302122.html>
   .

   - Yasmin Alibhai-Brown hops on the burqa-banning
bandwagon<http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/yasmin-alibhai-brown/yasmin-alibhaibrown-they-are-right-to-ban-the-burka-even-if-it-is-for-the-wrong-reasons-1861412.html>.
   In other news, alliteration is great.

   - The Bahrain Women’s Association for Human Development discussed ways
   for women to emerge from
divorces<http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=267769>
with
   alimony, rightful custody of their children and a roof over their heads.
   More
here<http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticleNew.asp?col=&section=middleeast&xfile=data/middleeast/2010/January/middleeast_January54.xml>
   .

   - Muslim women in Godhra, India, claim that they have been sexually
   assaulted by local
police<http://www.indianexpress.com/news/Godhra-women-allege-sexual-assault-by-cops/563959>
   .

   - Headscarves will not be banned in Swiss
schools<http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/news/international/index/Veil_will_not_be_banned_in_Zurich_schools.html?cid=8009554>.
   Via Islam in
Europe<http://islamineurope.blogspot.com/2010/01/zurich-school-veil-ban-rejected.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+IslamInEurope+%28Islam+in+Europe%29&utm_content=Google+Reader>
   .

   - More on the polygamy article heard ’round the Arab
world<http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/babylonbeyond/2010/01/muslim-world-polygamy-for-women-article-sparks-public-row.html>.
   More here <http://www.themedialine.org/news/news_detail.asp?NewsID=27648>
    and
here<http://www.salon.com/mwt/broadsheet/feature/2010/01/05/saudi_polygamy/index.html>
   .

   - In Australia, a Muslim woman received a $2000 grant to run the Girls
   Only Gym
program<http://waverley-leader.whereilive.com.au/news/story/monash-girl-power-in-the-gym/>
at
   the Ashburton YMCA to give young Muslim women an opportunity to exercise
   comfortably.

   - Hamas encourages women to follow a specific dress
code<http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2010-01/03/content_12748559.htm>
   .

   - *The National *profiles Fatima
Shama<http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100107/FOREIGN/701069936/1135/general1>
   .

   - An Egyptian court upheld a ruling by the education ministry to ban
   women from wearing the full face veil in university examination
halls<http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hqFEoGKijz5zszq0SC-MYkzAUMHw>
   .

   - *The Huffington Post*’s Nosheen Abbas believes that women’s progress in
   Pakistan is a
mirage<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nosheen-abbas/womens-progress-is-a-mira_b_409423.html>
   .

   - *elan* also discusses how the Arabic Fiction Prize Shortlist comes up
   very
short<http://www.elanthemag.com/index.php/site/blog_detail/arabic_fiction_prize_shortlist_comes_up_way_short_for_women-nid601158158/>
indeed
   when it comes to women.

   - On how the 2004 tsunami created devastating conditions for Indonesian

women<http://se7enmagazine.com/the-issue/35-asia/825-tsunami-indonesia-recovery.html>
   .

   - *The Globe and Mail *reports that more Afghan women are committing

suicide<http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/afghan-women-turning-to-suicide-in-greater-numbers-report/article1421654/>
   .

   - A 23-year-old Muslim woman in The Netherlands who says she was not
   allowed into a first aid clinic on Christmas Day with her three-month old
   baby because she was wearing a burqa has submitted a complaint to the
   equal opportunities
committee<http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2009/12/woman_in_burqa_turned_away_fro.php>.
   Via
Euro-Islam<http://www.euro-islam.info/2009/12/29/woman-in-burqa-denied-entrance-to-utrecht-clinic/>
   .

   - Women are a growing
force<http://se7enmagazine.com/the-issue/35-asia/823-hell-no-we-wont-go-women-a-growing-force-in-middle-eastern-business.html>
in
   West Asian business.

   - Dr. Amal al Ghaferi is the first Emirati faculty
member<http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100107/NATIONAL/701069834/1010>
at
   Masdar Institute of Science and Technology.

   - Mansoureh Shojaee, an activist who is being held in Evin prison, has been
   allowed to contact her
family<http://www.iranfemschool.com/english/spip.php?article356>
   .

   - A Michigan woman was singled out for a pat-down at an airport because
   of her
hijab<http://detnews.com/article/20100107/METRO01/1070413/Muslims-question-full-body-search-of-woman-in-head-scarf>
   .

   - *The National* reports that more than half of women in the U.A.E. would
   not report a
rape<http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100106/NATIONAL/701059902/1010>
   police.

   - In Egypt, a new law has recommended tough punishments in an effort to
   combat sexual
harassment<http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100106/FOREIGN/701059825/1002/NEWS>
   .

   - One woman’s struggle to get her husband a green
card<http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/08/us/08cncfamily.html>
   .

   - A disgusting account of one woman’s sexual
harassment<http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/doctor-sucked-pregnant-womans-breasts/story-e6frf7jx-1225817069446>
by
   her doctor.

*Editor’s Note: Readers, as always, if there are any news stories about
Muslim women that we’ve missed, please feel free to post them in the
comments.*

*However, I’ve noticed that our Friday links have become very Middle
East-centric. We want to cover what’s going on with Muslim women all over
the world! We’d like your help: if you use del.icio.us, you can send us news
stories at fatemehmmw. You can also Tweet news stories to us on our Twitter
account (@mmwtweets <http://twitter.com/mmwtweets>), email them to us at
t...@muslimahmediawatch.org. Or, like always, post them in the comments.
We’d appreciate your help in keeping MMW international. Thanks!*

MILIS MAJELIS MUDA MUSLIM BANDUNG (M3B)
Milis tempat cerita, curhat atau ngegosip mengenai masalah anak muda dan Islam.

Sekretariat :
Jl Hegarmanah no 10 Bandung 40141
Telp : (022)2036730, 2032494 Fax : (022) 2034294

Kirim posting mailto:majelismuda@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: