On Thursday, September 18, 2003, at 01:54 AM, Iain Truskett wrote:

Heyo,

I was wondering if there was a nice recipe to determine
whether a C compiler is available. The various modules I looked at
that have both XS and pure perl implementations don't seem to
have any sort of standard method of determination.

Runtime isn't a problem since the C based implementation would have a
different name from the Perl one, but I don't know a recommended way to
work out whether to bother compiling at 'make' time.

In Module::Build, this is pretty easy - I'm adding a have_compiler() method that does Nick's test & caches the result.

-Ken