Saw mjd tweet about a new build system called "redo" that does two things I've
never seen before in a build system.  First, it breaks the build process up
into files that live alongside the file it's controlling.  Want to compile a C
program?  Write hello.do that compiles hello.c.  Want a test target?  Write
test.do.  Where's the code that generates lib/Foo.pm?  It's in lib/Foo.pm.do.

Second, the do files are just programs.  They respond to #!.  Even though it
was designed with shell in mind (I need to tell the author a few things about
shell portability) they're not tied to it.

If you're interested in build system, I would highly recommend reading through
the README.
https://github.com/apenwarr/redo
http://apenwarr.ca/log/?m=201012#14

The major downside is all those .do files everywhere.  Who's going to write
them?  Wouldn't it be nice if there was something to GENERATE them?

Yes.  Indeed.  Hmm.  Interesting.

--
Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.
    -- "Lords and Ladies" by Terry Prachett

  • redo Michael G Schwern