On the Republic, I suppose that the key text is 'Secretosque pios, his
dantem iura Catonem' - VIII, 670.  Gibbon took this as an indication of
V's Republican sympathies, since Cato was certainly the hero of the
falling Republic.  (Among recent writers see Eckart Lefevre in 'V's
Aeneid' edited by HP Stahl, 1998.) The verse about Cato could, I would
think, be taken in an Augustan sense - meaning that the Republican
system would be fine among the secluded and virtuous few, but
is no longer sustainable in the days of vast empire.  On the other hand,
the words hint that good Romans have sympathies that they keep secret.
Julia Dyson 'King of the Wood' (2001) has some interesting remarks on the
Aeneid and the 'mystery story' genre, with layers of meaning to be
uncovered.

My inclination, for what it's worth, is to suppose that there are three,
rather than just two, layers levels of meaning in V's work:
1. Praise of the dual imperium, of the Romans over their great empire
and of the Caesars over the Romans.
2. Exposure of the violence and cynicism inherent in both aspects of the
imperium: note how women are so often the victims.
3. Religious acceptance of the fate of Rome.  As had been said in the
Georgics, it is not God's will that there be an easy way.  The Caesars
will play a more significant and tragic role in history than even they
suppose: Marcellus represents them more than they understand. - Martin
Hughes