----- Original Message -----
From: "ELIZABETH CANTY" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, March 13, 2004 11:45 AM
Subject: RE: VIRGIL: Virgil and the mouse

> Assuming that Thoreau had a classical education, would a textual
> analysis of "Walden" provide any references or allusions to the
"Georgics"?

A quick search of "Walden" shows the following references to Virgil:

"Those who have not learned to read the ancient classics in the language in
which they were written must have a very imperfect knowledge of the history
of the human race; for it is remarkable that no transcript of them has ever
been made into any modern tongue, unless our civilization itself may be
regarded as such a transcript.  Homer has never yet been printed in English,
nor AEschylus, nor Virgil even."

and to the Georgics:

"It seemed by the distant hum as if somebody's bees had swarmed, and that
the neighbors, according to Virgil's advice, by a faint tintinnabulum upon
the most sonorous of their domestic utensils, were endeavoring to call them
down into the hive again."

Regards,

David Jensen