Several weeks ago I reminded our readers of J.-Y. Maleuvre's
virgilmurder.org. I don't believe -- even for an instant -- that Augustus
murdered Virgil, as Maleuvre argues. But I am interested, not just in what
Virgil meant, but also in what people have made of him, beginning with the
critics mentioned in Donatus's biography and continuing to the present
time. Maleuvre's arguments are part of that tradition, and so when he asks
me to I mention them here. Now, Maleuvre is arguing that Horace was
murdered as well. I do NOT endorse this view. However, if you want to read
a good conspiracy theory, see
http://quintus.horatius.free.fr/etud/list_etud.htm and click on "Horace
assassiné."