Colleagues,

Not as old as Haecker (who, despite some tendentious arguments, is still worth reading), but very much worth reading are two books from the 1960s:
Viktor Poeschl, The Art of Vergil. 1962, translation by Gerda Seligson of Die Dichtkunst Vergils, 1950.
Michael C. J. Putname, The Poetry of the Aeneid. 1965

Mario Di Cesare

David Wilson-Okamura wrote:
The mention of Haecker's book (which I haven't read either) is a good
reminder that our grandfathers' books are still useful, even if our parents
don't read them anymore. Or to put it another way, good books become
obsolete (if at all) piece by piece, not all at once.

What are some good books (or good chapters) on Virgil that people don't
read anymore but that you  think are still useful? Earlier this week, I was
reading Jackson Knight's Roman Vergil (1944) and learned a great deal from
the chapter on meter and style.