This is nicely put.  And I think it gets at the kinds of things teachers do
in the classroom with Vergil that aren't necessarily the same things
classicists do with Vergil in their scholarly writings.  If the study of
literature is involved in how we understand what it means to be human, then
we *should* compare Aeneas to Abraham, Gilgamesh, and Beowulf.  And it would
be perverse to study medieval or Renaissance literature and ignore Aeneas's
function in Christian culture.

Shawn Smith