>The phrase _is_ from Persius:
>
>                                  SATVRA I
>
>               O curas hominum! o quantum est in rebus inane!
>               'quis leget haec?' min tu istud ais? nemo hercule. 'nemo?'
>               uel duo uel nemo. 'turpe et miserabile.' quare?
>
>On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, James Butrica wrote:
>
>> >     I came across this phrase out of context; the only identification
>> >given is that it's supposedly a quotation from Persius.  Can anyone help
>> >me put this phrase into context?
>> >Thanks,
>> >Randi Eldevik
>> >Oklahoma State University

>> >mantovano" in the body.
>>
>> I don't know the source, but it can't be Persius, who names Hercules only
>> at 2.12, and *nemo* is nowhere to be seen.
>> JLB
>>
>> James Lawrence Peter Butrica
>> Department of Classics
>> Memorial University
>> St. John's, Newfoundland  A1C 5S7

>mantovano" in the body.

Culpa rubet vultus meus. My mistake was to rely upon the Index Nominum in
the OCT of Persius and Juvenal, which apparently thinks that, if "hercule"
is not capitalized, it is not a proper name and therefore doesn't belong in
an index of names. I wonder if it was Clausen himself who made this
decision, or someone hired to compile the Index. Or is it generally
believed that the exclamation "hercule" doesn't refer to Hercules at all?
The index to Gildersleeve's commentary also lists the Hercules of Satire 2
but not the one in Satire 1.