I would be interested in the evidence that my "noble Romans" did read
for themselves in the way that scholars like Pliny (and Cicero and
Caesar) obviously did, and schoolboys. I am still unpacking my books
from moving into retirement and can't find the recent CQs. Perhaps I
will find the evidence there when I get back to a library.
The dearly beloved new Bibliotheque nationale de France was on strike
last time I tried, because neither readers nor staff can operate the
fancy new electronics without messing them up. No doubt time and
patience will cure all.
Robert Dyer