The end of Aen.VIII
Talia per clipeum Volcani dona parentis
miratur, rerumque ignarus imagine gaudet
attollens umero famamque et fata nepotum.
'Such, throughout the shield, were the gifts of Aeneas' parent.   He
wondered at them and, though he could not know the reality, was moved by
the image to great joy.   So he took on his shoulders the fame and fate of
his people.'   'Talia per clipeum' picks up 'Talia per Latium' at the
beginning of the Book(l.18), a phrase which is followed by a complicated
image of an image.   This earlier image is fractured and volatile, the
later image is coherent and salutary - it is very rare for the melancholy
Aeneas to feel joy.   I venture to think that this sequence of images and
reactions amounts to a firm rejection of Plato's view.   Nothing could be
less Platonic than 'not knowing the reality but rejoicing in the image'.
I think V is saying that it is the quality of the image, not its mere
status as an image (or work of art/poetry), which matters and which
produces the moral effect.  I find the three lines which end Book VIII
extraordinarily beautiful and moving, even by V's standards (let me know
if I've mistranslated them!)   This is one occasion where a poet conscious
of the dangers of poetry defends his calling against attack.   (Are any
Fibonacci Sequences detectable in Book VIII?) - Martin Hughes