I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to my question and the responses
were most interesting and very informational. I had cut and pasted just
your responses (i.e. not any names) to contribute your responses to my
professor. Well, I think I intrigued his interest because he asked about
who the contributer's were. I think that I accidentally found an interested
subscriber who thought that this discussion was bogus from my previous
mentioning of it. If it is "kosher" with all envolved, may I forward names
and addresses to him; I did not want to with out consent even though he is
a "Phd." I really think he might have been impressed that this is a serious
"Net" discussion group. Again thanks for the input on "Why a horse?" I have
come to a flexible conclusion that the "machine" built must have been a
device that resmbled the shape of a horse, unlike the literature makes one
envision a horse. Couldn't the Trojans have also taken the "ENGINE" into
their city inorder to keep the Greek's from scaling the walls? And in
thinking this would it not resemble the Hitites' war-machinery ingenuity?
Would it not have the long neck (like a horse) and then a protruding
forpiece that contected to the top of the walls. This image would seem to
look like a horse?
Just a thought and thanks,
Kimber
-----Original Message-----
From: Leofranc Holford-Strevens [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 1999 4:42 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: VIRGIL: re: Why A Horse?
I seem to remember seeing a vase, or sherd of a vase, in West Berlin, as
it was then, in which Athena is fashioning a horse. I haven't got LIMC
beside me at the moment, but someone may know what I'm talking about.
Leofranc
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*
Leofranc Holford-Strevens
67 St Bernard's Road usque adeone
Oxford scire MEVM nihil est, nisi ME scire hoc sciat alter?
OX2 6EJ
tel. +44 (0)1865 552808(home)/267865(work) fax +44 (0)1865 512237
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (home) [EMAIL PROTECTED] (work)
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
To leave the Mantovano mailing list at any time, do NOT hit reply.
Instead, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message
"unsubscribe mantovano" in the body (omitting the quotation marks). You
can also unsubscribe at http://virgil.org/mantovano/mantovano.htm#unsub
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
To leave the Mantovano mailing list at any time, do NOT hit reply.
Instead, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message
"unsubscribe mantovano" in the body (omitting the quotation marks). You
can also unsubscribe at http://virgil.org/mantovano/mantovano.htm#unsub